Family of 4!

Family of 4!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hanging with Grandpa Dennis & Working Full Time

Drill weekend in May brought a first for me...I went without Tim or Tenley.  Since she was born we have all 3 been going to Topeka for the weekend so that I didn't have to leave her.  However, some ago Tim had agreed to work for one of the guys at the Fire Department and at the time didn't realize that it was drill weekend. Not only did he have to work the extra day, but the other day of the weekend was also his to work.  Yay, for a double shift on the weekend...ugg. So it was Grandpa Dennis to the rescue.  He was more than happy to come down for the weekend to take care of spoil his sweet Granddaughter.  They had such a good time, and leaving her is always hard, but knowing she is in good hands helps.



I had a hard time with the weekend, because the following Monday (May 16) I would be starting full time in Topeka for a few months.  I haven't worked full time since her arrival, and truthfully it was like going back for the first time all over again.  Once I got there and got busy with work it was better, but still tough.  However, with that said I am so grateful for the opportunity to work up there and backfill for others while they are deployed.  Having a job that requires you to be gone is tough, and having one that requires you to deploy is even harder.  Before Tenley was born I was convinced I could do it (deploy), it was in fact my job and one that I really love to do.... however, as my date got nearer the tears came more and more often.  I decided to approach them at work to see if I would by any chance not have to deploy this year.  I am still nursing and was (and am not) ready to stop yet, and the thought of leaving her for an extended period of time at this point was/is heartbreaking.  With the support of great peers and supervisors my wish came true, I would not have to deploy this rotation.  What I would be able to do is backfill at the base while others are taking care of business around the world.  I am truly blessed to have friends that were willing to step up even more that they already had to make it possible for me to stay home.  So each time I start to feel burned out, frustrated with my alarm going off at  4:30 a.m. to start my day, and guilty for leaving Miss Tenely, I remind myself what others are doing so that I have the opportunity to wake up at 4:30, to drive to Topeka for a day of work, and then drive home and  be with my girl..each.night. I am eternally grateful to you all!

(the new daily work schedule is why the posts have been slim lately...I am getting in the swing of things a big more so will do my best to pick up the pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment